Monday, April 20, 2015

Books from 2013

A partial list of books I remember I read in 2013

The “Miss Julia...” series, the first of which is “Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind” by Ann B Ross There are over 11 titles in the series, all of which are hilarious. The first book begins when Miss Julia, newly widowed, finds out that not only was her obnoxious husband of 30 some years secretly very wealthy, but also unfaithful, when his mistress shows up on her doorstep with his 9 yr old illegitimate child.

“Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust” Daniel Jonah Goldhagen Very chilling. I learned much about the German side of WWII from this book. There's so much they don't tell you in school history books.

“I Will Plant you a Lilac Tree; The Memoir of a Schindler's List Survivor” Laura Hillman non-fiction

“Of Pure Blood” by Marc Hillman and Clarissa Henry non-fiction, more info that you never learn in school. All about Hitler's Aryan breeding program, kidnapping suitable-looking women to breed, breeding and birthing houses...etc.

“Tell No One” Harlan Coben; Fiction Coben always writes riveting books, this is one of his I liked best.

“Four Perfect Pebbles” Lila Perl and Marion Blumenthal Lazan non-fiction Another holocaust survivor story
“Schindler's Legacy” non-fiction, by Elinor Brecher In-depth research into the lives of the children of the survivors from Schindler's List.

“Meg” Steve Alten fiction This is about a prehistoric shark. If you are a Jurassic Park fan you might find this worth your while, though it isn't as good as Crichton's work by any means.

“Meg-Primal Waters” Steve Alten fiction This is actually the 3rd book in the series, I believe. It was OK, but it didn't inspire me to try to find the second book in the series.

Two or three complete fictional series by Lorraine Snelling; probably over 20 books, give or take. This is a Christian writer, the series I read deals with the founding of the town of Blessing in the 1800s mid-west by immigrants from Norway. This is kind of a combination of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Jeanette Oke type of writing. I really enjoyed it.

“The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” fiction CS Lewis A classic I read to Ellen

“The Horse and His Boy” CS Lewis fiction Read to Ellen

“The Magician's Nephew” CS Lewis fiction Read to Ellen

“Call it Courage” I read it to Ellen. This was one of my favorites when I was in school.

“Island of the Blue Dolphins” Scott O'Dell A classic I believe I was required to read in school. I read it with Ellen.

Jodi Picoult Something about a descendant of a Nazi holocaust survivor. Very different
“Tell No One” Harlan Fiction Coben Fiction
“Promise Me” Harlan Fiction Coben Fiction

“Big Stone Gap” Fiction Adriana Triglione This is an original for sure. I enjoyed it.


There are a few books I keep that I read once a year...usually when I haven't found anything in the library that catches my interest:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. JRR Tolkien

The following trilogy by Pamela Dean. They are aimed more at older teens, but I love them.
“The Secret Country”
“The Hidden Land”
“The Whim of the Dragon”

“Jurassic Park” Michael Crichton fiction So much better than the movie.
“The Lost World” Crichton fiction Much, much, much better than the movie.

“Little Women”


No comments:

Post a Comment